THE MUSEUM WILL BE RE-OPENING ON 27 MAY 2017!
The Museum will be FREE to visit for the Bank Holiday Weekend!
Until then, the Bridge Study Centre and Somme Exhibition are still open to the public, and we are running Easter family activities.
The Museum has been closed in order to upgrade the heating and electrics in the building as well as replace a leaking roof.
The Bridge Study Centre:
Bridging has been an essential part of warfare for thousands of years. In this gallery the full history of military bridging is explored. Hands on activities from our Sapper Workshop and dressing up are also available for kids.
The main Museum car park is closed until 27 May. There is limited parking available at the King Charles Hotel car park (included a disabled parking bay) which is opposite the temporary Museum entrance. Please note a pass will be needed and should be collected from staff in the Bridge Study Centre and displayed in your vehicle. An overflow carpark is sign-posted and is a 5 minute walk from the temporary Museum. Click here for a map.
Access to the Library is closed until June, to allow the Curators time to get the Museum back in shape. Please contact us in June for more information.
Annual Ticket Holders:
Visitor with an Annual Ticket should contact the Museum on 01634 822839 for information on extending its validity.
If following sat nav directions please enter Prince Arthur Road, Gillingham. The Museum is signposted from most major roads into the Medway Towns.
- From London: A2 to Dover (Junction1) A289, Medway Tunnel, Right Towards Brompton, Right into Prince Arthur Road. Museum is on the right near the top of the road.
- From North of the Thames: M25 – Dartford Crossing, (Junction 2) A2 to Dover then as above.
- From the South West: M25 to Dartford (Junction 5) M26-M20 to Dover/Folkestone, (Junction 5) A229-A230 to Chatham
- From Dover: A2-M2 to London, (Junction 3) A229-A230 to Chatham.
- From Chatham Centre: Take the A231 (Dock Road) to Gillingham, follow the A231 into Wood Street, at the roundabout, turn left at the traffic into Prince Arthur Road (B2004). The entrance to the Museum is on the left.
- From Gillingham Centre: Take the A231 (Brompton Road), turn right at the traffic lights into Prince Arthur Road (B2004).
SAT NAVs: Use postcode ME7 1UR
Please click here for a map to the overflow car park: MUSEUM OVERFLOW CARPARK
Many of the Arriva bus services stop at the top of Prince Arthur Road at the King Charles Hotel including the 101 (Maidstone Service), and 182. The 156 stops outside the Museum by Mid Kent College. Please see the Arriva website for more information.
There are direct rail connections from London St Pancras (High Speed Service – 45mins), London Victoria, London Waterloo, London Charing Cross, and Dover Priory/ Canterbury. The closest train station is Gillingham Railway Station.
From Gillingham Station the Museum is a twenty minute walk through the high street to the Museum (sign posted). A taxi rank is available next to the station.